Monday, January 22, 2007

Miscellaneous Factoids about My Life in Palestine

For the first time in my life since early childhood I have kept and used a wallet. I was so unfamiliar with the workings of a wallet that people had to show me how to use it properly.

I have worn two pairs of pants, one on top of the other, every day since my first night in Jerusalem, when it was so cold in my room (thin walls, built as an add-on to the roof, no heating anywhere) that I emptied my suitcase, piled the clothes on top of me in bed, and topped that all off with the suitcase itself.

I have lost at ping-pong to little children repeatedly. One of the community centers where I teach is the proud home of Nablus’ champion youth ping-pong team. I think they all wanted to play me because I’m Chinese (looking), but much to my surprise and their dismay, I did not pose much of a challenge. You laugh, but really, I’m not half bad and they’re all really really good.

Central heating is a myth. So are long hot showers. Never take either for granted ever again.

Our supply of gas ran out a week ago; there’s practically no gas in the city of Nablus and, some say, the whole West Bank. This means no hot water for bathing or washing, and using the stove conservatively. The last time I bathed was a week and a half ago; it’s fortunate that I wear so many layers of clothing. I did, however, douse my head in cold water and shampoo after my recent haircut.

For those of you who have been reading my blog (even a little), but have thus far been too shy to tell me, you are required to leave a comment HERE!

10 Comments:

Blogger Kris said...

I am bashful, shy, and reading your blog, buddy.

You're losing to kids, man? Seriously? Seriously?

You're doing a good thing, man.

-Kris

5:33 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

present :)

9:10 AM  
Blogger kurt_t said...

I was gonna say "Are you dating?" but then I got to the part about you haven't had a bath in a week and a half.

If you want, me and Jeffrey can send you some Handiwipes and Fabreeze.

1:23 PM  
Blogger Moe said...

brian!! I was bad and didn't get a chance to read your blog until now. I love it all and henceforth will become a religious reader. I want your address, to send you things as well. food at least, cause you are skinny enough as is!

ping pong's a way harder sport than most people think! keep playing with those pros though, and you'll be great!

LOVE LOVE LOVE your blog and i'm so glad that you're over there and doing your thing. you rock. :)

-emily

2:19 PM  
Blogger shazzbarbaric said...

hey brian-

got turned onto the blog by matt, backtracking through the posts. "bloo abroad" leaves a bad taste in both pronunciation and pun.

good writing, hope to run into you stateside. admire what you're doing.

david

1:25 PM  
Blogger Awaara said...

i've been keeping up with your blog and intend to continue

7:53 PM  
Blogger Jenni said...

Brian,

I just sent you an email because I could not figure out how to sign up and post because it was all in French, but as you can see I figured it out. In any case I think what you are doing is great and I respect your reasons for doing it. I look forward to reading your blog when I come in to town

7:59 AM  
Blogger habshe said...

bloo, firstly, just wanted to confirm that i am on the list of the few people you actually respect. well, perhaps before the whole dirty mo thing and all, but still...;)

now that we've established that, wanted to let you know that your ability to understand and integrate with others in the manner you have done is matched only by your skill with the written word...both being brilliant!

i have always known you were capable of great things, but in college, the main side i saw of you was the silly love-struck china man engulfed in MUN. reading your blog today has shown me you truly are a very unique and talented person who will actively strive to improve the situation of others, one person at a time.

i have become an avid reader of your blog and will continue to devour your words from Palestine, as you do what i have spoken of many times but never had the courage and discipline to do myself.

i will continue to look forward to hearing about your future endeavours, as i am sure they will be as grand and fulfilling as ever.

3:15 PM  
Blogger habshe said...

bloo, firstly, just wanted to confirm that i am on the list of the few people you actually respect. well, perhaps before the whole dirty mo thing and all, but still...;)

now that we've established that, wanted to let you know that your ability to understand and integrate with others in the manner you have done is matched only by your skill with the written word...both being brilliant!

i have always known you were capable of great things, but in college, the main side i saw of you was the silly love-struck china man engulfed in MUN. reading your blog today has shown me you truly are a very unique and talented person who will actively strive to improve the situation of others, one person at a time.

i have become an avid reader of your blog and will continue to devour your words from Palestine, as you do what i have spoken of many times but never had the courage and discipline to do myself.

i will continue to look forward to hearing about your future endeavours, as i am sure they will be as grand and fulfilling as ever.

3:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Fine, I'll finally leave something just so you don't think that I'm not writing your blog! Keep it up, big guy - the blog, the work, the life. Take care, talk to you soon.

12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home